From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: (urth) Gorgeous Borges
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 13:45:49

I submit Jorge Luis Borges's short story "The Immortal" for the those
looking for Lupine precursors.

The narrator's journey reminds me of tBotNS in ways I can't put my finger
on.  The fictitious manuscript and the characters from antiquity remind
me of the Soldier books.  But most of all, there is that confusion about
the narrator's identity that Wolfe loves so much ("Fondly Fahrenheit" by
Alfred Bester also seems like an important story in that regard).

Is anyone able to better articulate what is so Wolfeish about this story?

-Rostrum

P.S. -- Yes, I know how to pronounce 'Borges'.  It was just a joke.