From: CRCulver@aol.com
Subject: Re: (urth) New Sun miscellany
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 01:02:01 EDT

<5) My final question is one that probably only Wolfe can answer, though
the answer may be in some interview.  We know that _Urth of the New Sun_
was not part of Wolfe's original intention, but was written as a
compromise with his editor.  And _Urth_ makes explicit a number of matters
highly relevant to BotNS, but which are much more obscure there, and would
often probably have gone unsuspected without _Urth_.  My question is
twofold: In doing the final revisions of BotNS, did Wolfe have the
eventual existence of _Urth_ in mind?  In other words, would these matters
that are made explicit in _Urth_ have been equally explicit in BotNS, had
Wolfe gained his first preference and not written _Urth_?  And to what
extent can we assume that Wolfe's vision of the New Sun universe is the
same in _Urth_ as it was in BotNS?>

It is certain there are some things in the BotNS that would make no sense and
have no observable purpose if Wolfe didn't already have some elements of UotNS
planned. The first thing that springs to mind is the winged Tzadkiel in the
Autarch's book.

- Christopher R. Culver