From: "Marty Light" <Marty_Light@siecor.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Saltus Mine Deep One
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 18:41:55

Ditto on Alga's comment about Peter S.'s translation!  It's been great
lurking in the background, watching the posts proliferate. Not that anyone
ever needs a reason to re-read Wolfe, but 5HC is getting another perusal by
me. "A-bo, a-bo, it's off to read I go..."  No, I'm not going off on some
"Three Fingers" discussion;  rather, some idle speculation of mine own
which mantis/borski/etal's comments will dwarf in no time:

Peter's Stephenson & Westlake (aka SBear) have been guessing about the type
of machine awakened at the mine.  I've always assumed it was some sort of
major-league mining equipment -- perhaps an overgrown pile driver.  In a
vertical orientation, a pile driver could generate some sparks, lots of
noise, and appear like a tower walking.  Serverian could have unknowingly
triggered the equipment into action as he traveled through the mine.

Final question:  Are "Endangered Species" and "Planet Engineering" still in
print?  My copy of 5HC lists "...Species" on the Tor list, but I have been
unable to turn up a copy.  Thanks!