From: m.driussi@genie.com
Subject: (urth) Wellsean Tripod Stalks Urth
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 98 15:05:00 GMT

Spectacled Bear,

FWIW I too identified the walking tower at the battle front as a
look-alike for Wellsean Martian war machine heat ray poison gas
projecting tripod.  But for one reason or another I placed it in the
Ascian forces, with all their other mechanized units.  (This was for
some unpublished game.)

Such a tower from the roots of the continent, how interesting!
Perhaps it can go gaseous to get out quickly through such tiny
passageways.  Or maybe the mine links up with a vast open pit with a
long spiral ramp that the tripod can stump up to the surface.  Or
maybe it walks through an essentially hollow Urth and finds the
Tower Access To Surface Tube nearest to the battle front and appears
just in time.