From: tony.ellis@futurenet.co.uk (Tony Ellis)
Subject: (urth) Re: Abo Artifacts
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 09:15:18 +0100

Robert Borski wrote:
> Eoliths are chipped stones of the late Tertiary Period formerly held to
> have been made by humans, but now known to be products of a natural,
> nonhuman agency (weathering, volcanic action, erosion, etc.). I submit
> these are the so-called Annese artifacts he and Pop sell at their stand.
> Roy never made them because he has the same ham-fisted clumsiness you
> attribute to Victor.

Sorry, but the artifacts the Trenchards sell are clearly manufactured
fakes. Dr Marsch notes "several... I am fairly sure had been made from
coloured glass, probably from pieces of broken whisky bottles. They were
new, as was shown by their razor-sharp edges (genuinely old flint or
volcanic glass implements have always lost their keeness by friction
with soil or grit);"

> Notice also how Victor's search has not been conducted by daylight, but the
> light of Sainte Croix. This suggests the museum artifacts Number Five sees
> are either eoliths or replicas of eoliths.

They're replicas of Trenchard's fakes. We're told that the museum
artifacts are plastic replicas, and Trenchard boasts of his items that
"castings have been made of them so they could be sent all over the
world, and even to Sainte Croix."