From: "Alice Turner" <al@interport.net>
Subject: (urth) cues/clues
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 12:38:05

The mini-story "Cues" (in TIODD&OS&OS) is a fair example of what John Clute
refers to as Wolfe's "onieric jeux d'esprit" (a phrase I enjoy). But I'll
offer a midrash.

First, when a writer does a story involving just about any form of art, it's
really about writing. So this is a little parable about writing. Who is the
author? Not the not-so-young man, certainly. The author is the bowling ball.
Then n-s-y man is a wannabe, with more confidence than talent, who thinks
that his contact with the "great man" (here a bowling ball) can bring
success.

So I think that the bowling ball is Gene Wolfe, the second bowling ball is
Nancy Kress (or you can choose your other successful and established writer
whose mind is a "fair blue world, mottled by clouds and enriched with
life"), the setting is a science fiction convention, and the n-s-y man is an
importunate and not-so-bright fan who wants to become a writer but hasn't a
clue. Er, cue.

-alga-