From: tony.ellis@futurenet.co.uk (Tony Ellis)
Subject: (urth) Re: VRT=???
Date: 21 May 1998 09:39:33 +0100

21/05/98
                                                                      08:54
 RE>VRT=3D???

Robert Borski:
R =3D Roy
Ingenious! My only reservation is that, as you say, "Rm E2S14
Seat 18" clearly refers to a classroom and the seat in that
classroom where young Victor sat, which makes me a little
reluctant to give R and E any other significance.

My only alternative suggestion, mind you, is Roncevaux, which as
I recall is the town where Victor and his family live. Dodgy.

I find myself wondering _why_ Victor gave "room E2S14, seat 18" as
his name. A childish mistake? Or, as an Annese boy in an alien culture,
did VRT feel that that was as much his name as "Victor"? This is,
after all, a story about identity and colonialism (amongst other things).

As for the significance of Trenchard... a trencher is, of course, a
wooden or ceramic platter, and significantly the word comes from
the French trenchoir. Would that make a trenchard some sort of
serving man, a medieval plate-carrier? Just a thought.