From: m.driussi@genie.com
Subject: (urth) re: 5H Star Hunt
Date: Tue, 19 May 98 14:15:00 GMT

Robert Borski,

Re: Newtonian vs. biological.  Right, I didn't mention the biological
time dilation because it is a bit ambiguous and doesn't directly
address the distance issue.  Said dilation could be due to a
near-lightspeed velocity of between 0.999 and 0.9999c; or, as you say
and the text alludes, it could be just a side effect of hibernation
rather than "suspended animation."  If we knew the mile-long
starships were using Nearly As Fast As Light drives, then we'd also
have a better idea of how far the star is.

Excellent point re: hidden/overlooked nature of the star.  If
overlooked, then an M type star is more likely--but an M-star with a
long year like that, hmmm, that causes problems.

Re: longer local day.  So let's ballpark it--48 hour days would be
much longer; how about 30 hour days?

Re: "Shadow Child" with "two bright star eyes," in truth my notes are
pretty bad, lacking even page numbers, but I managed to find this one
because it is close to the beginning of "`A Story'": "When morning
came the sun would rise in Fever; but sisterworld, whose great blue
disk now showed a thin paring above the encompassing trees, obscured
the two bright stars, the eyes, that were all that could be seen of
The Shadow Child" (Ace paperback, p. 87).

Re: Thousand Feelers and the Fish.  This makes me think of those sea
monsters, like Hydra, Draco (starry sea), and Cetus.  Cetus would put
us right next to Pisces, but yeah, that's Fishes not Fish (of the
South).

Re: 15 foot tides, a good datapoint for the separation of the twin
worlds.