From: adam louis stephanides <astephan@students.uiuc.edu>
Subject: (urth) Suzanne Delage
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 13:02:37

On Mon, 11 May 1998 Peter Westlake wrote:

> Seconded. I do like your theory, even though I don't believe it's the
> one the author intended. It does fit the text pretty well, but I think
> it isn't quite strongly enough implied. At least, I *think* I think that.

This might be true for another author, but not for Wolfe.  I think my
theory is at least as strongly implied by the text as is Weer's ghostly
state in _Peace_, which we know Wolfe intended.

> Of the theories I've heard so far, I like Alice's the best.

The main problem I now have with Alice's theory is that it doesn't account
for the strong indications that the narrator has indeed forgotten
something.  (I don't think you can say he has "forgotten" not having met
Suzanne.)

--Adam