From: Peter Stephenson <pws@ifh.de>
Subject: (urth) Re: Suzanne Delage
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 10:02:18 +0200

adam louis stephanides wrote:
> But it is the description of Suzanne's daughter that is the real
> giveaway.
> This passage is in reality not a description of the daughter,
> but a repressed memory of Suzanne herself bubbling up, triggered by seeing
> her daughter.

You're right that this is a key moment, and seems to be asking for a
psychological rather than a fantasy explanation.  Actually, it recalls
another part of Proust, towards the end, when he meets Gilberte Swann's
daughter and recognises in her all the things he once saw in Gilberte.
Sorry I don't have it around, but maybe there's a really telling
quotation in Le Temps Retrouve' (Time Regained) somewhere.

pws