From: "Gordon Brain" <gobrain@netcomuk.co.uk>
Subject: (urth) Re: Pennington covers
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 13:22:22 +0100

I was interested to read the recent correspondence about cover art. I too
have always liked the Bruce Pennington covers for TBOTNS – to my mind they
seem to capture the atmosphere of the books.

Mr. Wolfe himself once told me that he considered the Pennington cover for
Shadow to be "the finest jacket art I've ever had".

Indeed, that particular cover even inspired a passage in TUOTNS. In Chapter
XXVI 'Gunnie And Burgundofora', Severian recalls himself as a young
journeyman, "striding along, his fuligin cloak billowing behind him and the
dark cross of Terminus Est rising above his left shoulder". Mr. Wolfe
confirmed that he had the image from the Pennington cover in mind when
writing that passage.

These illustrations and others can be found in 'Ultraterranium, the
Paintings Of Bruce Pennington' (Paper Tiger 1991).

Gordon