From: Peter Westlake <peter@harlequin.co.uk>
Subject: Re: (urth) Bruce Pennington covers
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 13:29:16 +0100

At 12:51 1998-05-06 +0100, you wrote:
>I have to agree with Tony: the covers for the UK version are (IMHO) far
>better than the Maitz covers. On the other hand, the covers for the UK
>version of the Long Sun series are very poor indeed, compared to the covers
>I've seen for Lake and Exodus on P.Duggan's website. A nice touch on the UK
>covers, though, is the embedding of stained glass windows in the otherwise
>naturalistic landscapes. Good conception, poor execution. Plus, I don't like
>to see clear depictions of protagonists' faces on covers (this is turning
>into a bit of a rant..better stop).

Me either, especially when they don't look like my mental picture,
which they invariably never do, especially in this case.

The stained glass windows are very nice, and I liked the way the
first two joined together to make a bigger picture; I was looking
forward to the third and fourth books, and was very disappointed
when the spines did not continue to build up but were duplicates
of the second. Of course, Calde had the subtitle "Volume Two of the
Book of the Long Sun", so I suppose it's only fair that it should
have the same cover as Lake!

Hello, by the way.

Peter.

Peter Westlake, Harlequin Ltd, Barrington Hall, Barrington, Cambs CB2 5RG.