From: "Dan'l Danehy Oakes" <DDANEHYO@us.oracle.com>
Subject: (urth) "The First Severian"
Date: 04 May 98 07:01:01

I was at first surprised at all the stuff about who "the first
Severian" was.  The Severian who writes tBotNS -- the one who tells
us "I know that I am not the first Severian" -- has been killed and
resurrected/reconstructed from a "ghost" (aqastor, whatchmajiggy)
more than once, after all.

But that doesn't cover what he means; he talks about a Severian who
has a parallel career but does not bring the New Sun.

So -- consider another possibility.  Wolfe, as an intellectual
Roman Catholic, is very aware of the distinction between the view
of Eternity and that of Space/Time.

So consider (if you will) the world as the artwork of a Creator. He
(and, from the RC PoV, there is really very little alternative to
using the masculine singular pronoun) creates a world as a "first
draft."  It goes along according to its natural laws -- and the
Creator is _not_ pleased with the way it comes out.

So He intervenes.  From in spacetime, these look like suspensions
of natural law -- we call them "miracles."  (From outside
spacetime, from the Eternal point of view, of course, they're
perfectly natural.) But they change the flow of history.  Before
the Creator intervenes, for example, Joshua and his army get
wiped out at Jericho; then the Creator intervenes and the walls
fall.

And, from the spacetime point of view _it has always happened that
way_.

Severian-1 is the Severian of the "first draft."  (Actually, the
_nth_ draft, since until certain events in dimmer history -- like
Jericho -- have taken place, events will produce no Severian at all:
but he is the first draft of Severian.)  He does the things
Severian-2 describes.  Then the Creator -- or, perhaps, His servants
like Tzadkiel -- intervene, probably from the moment of his
conception (not immaculate, but special), linking his being with
that of the White Fountain.  That is the Severian-2 we know and,
well, whatever.  (He's not terribly lovable, is he...?)

|--Dan'l Danehy-Oakes            | Can you believe that the eagle  |
|  Staff Curriculum Developer    |    will fly with the dove?      |
|  Oracle World-Wide Education   | Can you believe in the rose     |
|  email: ddanehyo@us.oracle.com |    in the raised fisted glove?  |
|  phone: 650-506-0793           |        -- John Michael Talbot   |