From: "William H. Ansley" <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) Napoleon
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 23:46:00

Paul C Duggan wrote:

>The story about napoleon that fits weers description would seem to be that
>Napoleon was one of the first to receive a colostomy bag. He kept his hand
>in his coat to keep it from passing wind.

Again, I don't think this fits with the fact that this is supposed to be an
innocent remark.

"At first I used to tell it in the hope of satisfying curiosity (and so
obtaining those real though impalpable satifactions, sweet at any time, but
sweetest at thirteen, which accrue when we appear knowledgeable and thus,
at least by implication, effective). Later I continued it as a
psychological experiment, having observed that the innocent remark
invariably offended."

_Peace_, p. 2

BTW, don't you just love the long involuted sentences that abound in _Peace_?

William Ansley