From: "Kieran Cleary" <kierannwn@tinet.ie>
Subject: Re. (urth)  Black Sun, White Fountain
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 17:00:32

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01BD2FFC.12972000

[MAJOR apologies for labouring the point, such as it is, but I just want =
to get my terminology right below:]

-viz wonders:

>On the illness of the sun:  It is stated in several places that the sun
>is being devoured by a black hole.  That much is impossible to argue
>with.  The debatable point is whether it's natural causes or murder.

How about this then:

Item: The Conciliator is sometimes referred to as "Dark Sun" (or "Black =
Sun"
can't remember which.)
Item: The New Sun itself is brought by the White Fountain, which is =
described in the text as being the opposite of a black hole, i.e. an =
erruption of matter from one
(lower) universe to another (higher) universe.
Item: There is a black hole in the Old Sun
Item: The White Fountain that brought the New Sun into being was not =
born in the same universe as Urth. (shaky here, but I thought that was =
mentioned in tUotNS)

So, speculation follows: the black hole that is destroying the Old Sun =
is
merely the necessary complement to the White Fountain. One has caused =
the other, and are both different sides of the same coin that is =
Severian.

lasrach

(phew. no more, I promise)=20

North West Labs
Finisklin Industrial Estate
Sligo
Republic of Ireland

Tel. +353 71 69441
Fax. +353 71 69451
email: kierannwn@tinet.ie

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01BD2FFC.12972000

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>[MAJOR apologies for labouring the =
point, such=20
as it is, but I just want to get my terminology right =
below:]</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-viz wonders:<BR><BR>&gt;On the illness of the sun:&nbsp; It is =
stated in=20
several places that the sun<BR>&gt;is being devoured by a black =
hole.&nbsp; That=20
much is impossible to argue<BR>&gt;with.&nbsp; The debatable point is =
whether=20
it's natural causes or murder.<BR><BR>How about this then:<BR><BR>Item: =
The=20
Conciliator is sometimes referred to as &quot;Dark Sun&quot; (or =
&quot;Black=20
Sun&quot;<BR>can't remember which.)<BR>Item: The New Sun itself is =
brought by=20
the White Fountain, which is described in the text as being the opposite =
of a=20
black hole, i.e. an erruption of matter from one<BR>(lower) universe to =
another=20
(higher) universe.<BR>Item: There is a black hole in the Old =
Sun<BR>Item: The=20
White Fountain that brought the New Sun into being was not born in the =
same=20
universe as Urth. (shaky here, but I thought that was mentioned in=20
tUotNS)<BR><BR>So, speculation follows: the black hole that is =
destroying the=20
Old Sun is<BR>merely the necessary complement to the White Fountain. One =
has=20
caused the other, and are both different sides of the same coin that is=20
Severian.<BR><BR>lasrach</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>(phew. no more, I promise) </DIV>
<DIV><BR>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>North West Labs<BR>Finisklin =
Industrial=20
Estate<BR>Sligo<BR>Republic of Ireland</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Tel. +353 71 69441<BR>Fax. +353 71=20
69451<BR>email: <A=20
href=3D"mailto:kierannwn@tinet.i">kierannwn@tinet.i</A>e</FONT></DIV></BO=
DY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0038_01BD2FFC.12972000--