From: CRCulver@aol.com
Subject: (urth) Re: Undines, Predestination, Time
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 15:06:38

Vizcacha said:
>I still think (mantis' opinion aside) that the "original" Severian
didn't succeed in bringing the New Sun.<

     I don't think so either. Why would Tzadkiel need to rework the timeline
so that *Severian would live* to bring the New Sun if it had been brought in
the past iteration?

>How much time elapsed between Typhon's reign and Severian's?

     Mantis has said that about a chiliad (1000 Urth years) passed between
the reign of Ymar and the Reign of Severian. Typhon was the last of the
Monarchs, Ymar was one of the first, or the first, of the autarchs. Thus,
about 1000 (Urth) years have passed between Typhon's reign and Sev's reign.

>How did Severian end up buried in the tomb below the Citadel?

     I hope this question may be answered in the Book of the Short Sun.
However, Gene Wolfe used the word 'cameo' when he mentioned Sev and Merryn
are going to be in it, so I wonder if Severian's *death* will be told of in
the BotSS.

Christopher R. Culver <crculver@aol.com>
http://members.aol.com/crculver/index.html
"Ignorance, that light of fools steers a wayward path"
-Brendan Perry

<--prev V6 next-->