From: Doug Eigsti <douge@nti.com>
Subject: (urth) Severin
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 09:08:21

Spooky mantis, good work on cim.

	Since you're lying down I couldn't help notice reference to
"Severin" from Von Sacher Mashoch's VENUS IN FURS. I know you are not a
proponent of the "Severin" to "Severian" connection but the contrasts are
intriguing. Mashoch's Severin is the willing recipient of Wanda's
excruciations, a Masochist. Wolfe's Severian turns the tables, assuming the
role of torturer. Granted, he derives no pleasure from the act, other than
the faithful execution of the Autarch's orders, he is no Sadist (as you
correctly pointed out). The silimairity in the names alone is enough to
make me think there is some connection, knowing how well read Mr. Wolfe is,
unless you want to claim synchronicity or a Freudian slip.

=Talon=

<--prev V5 next-->