From: Paul C Duggan <pduggan@world.std.com>
Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v005.n042
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 17:30:40

> > observation, after reading Cordwainer Smith's "A Planet Named Shayol,"
> > that where at one time people wrote gory descriptions of Hell with the
> > purpose of putting a genuine fear of God into people, several modern
> > science fiction writers have written gory stories about Hell with the
> > (seemingly intended) effect of making the reader say, "surely this cannot
> > be."
>
> Who else? I'm curious.

Niven's "Inferno"?

"I am an impure thinker. I am hurt, swayed, shaken, |  paul           + | +
elated, disillusioned, shocked, comforted, and I    |                 --|--
have to transmit my mental experiences lest I die." |                 + | +
                     --  Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy    |  pduggan@world.std.com

<--prev V5 next-->