From: "Alice Turner" <al@interport.net>
Subject: (urth) Soldier's accuracy
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 23:50:36

An answer to Rostrum's classicist friend (for sake of argument) is that we
don't know what language Latro is writing in. If you accept the fact that
he can read and write at all, he could be doing so in any local dialect.
All we know is that his name is Lucius---perhaps that name is not
acceptable for the period, but perhaps that it could be an acceptable
"translation" from period dialect.

You know, if he goes on with it, I hope Wolfe does stay within a modicum of
discipline. I don't want Latro sailing off to the New World to smoke the
Pipe of Peace with Cutthroat's pals. I'd much rather he stayed within the
incredibly rich Mediterranean world and had some more interaction with
historical figures.

-alga-

<--prev V4 next-->