From: "Kevin McGuire" <kmcguire@itw.com>
Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v004.n015
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 18:47:43 +0000

> Thanks for your offer to look up names, but I don't think the Abenakis, a
> Maine Algonkian tribe, will be much use. I don't think the names are
> Algonkian any more. Or Iroquois. Or Sioux. Sigh. Give it a whirl, though.
> Moose (or elk)=Nashwonk;
> deer (or antelope)=Lenizee; wolf=Wiggikku; pig (boar)=Panagiku; lion=Ketin.

Well, no dice.  I checked Vol. 1 of the Western Abenaki Dictionary,
by Dr. Gordon Day, and given your caveat about the spellings looked
as widely as I could, but nothing seemed to correspond - some of the
combinations don't even seem to be sounds that the Western Abenaki
used with any frequency.  The closest match was wigkannid "the one
who likes to travel" and perhaps wigkikan "liking to plant, sow" -
but I think you would be hard pressed to make these work.

Cheers,

<--prev V4 next-->