From: "Alice Turner" <al@interport.net>
Subject: (urth) Name track
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 14:31:22

Kevin McGuire,
Thanks for your offer to look up names, but I don't think the Abenakis, a
Maine Algonkian tribe, will be much use. I don't think the names are
Algonkian any more. Or Iroquois. Or Sioux. Sigh. Give it a whirl, though.
Moose (or elk)=Nashwonk;
deer (or antelope)=Lenizee; wolf=Wiggikku; pig (boar)=Panagiku; lion=Ketin.

(Some of those spellings are no doubt off; my house is upturned and I can't
find my book--but they're good enough for a dictionary look.)

Ron Crown,
Very interesting stuff, esp about "Nadan." The reason I was opposed to the
bird theory was that I saw it as an angel. Given that Wolfe is a believer
and all. It seemed too large to me to be a bird---but Great Raven is more
than a bird. I have not yet found one word of Athabascan, BTW, but when I
try again.

-alga-

<--prev V4 next-->