From: m.driussi@genie.com
Subject: Re: (urth) Suzanne's secret
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 97 14:00:00 GMT

Reply:  Item #0156759 from URTH@LISTS.BEST.COM@INTERNET#

Nutria,

The PEACE/Proust aspect of "Suzanne Delage" is probably the fact that
the narrator is sitting/lying in the old house he's lived in all his
life, casting his mind about in nostalgia and detective work.

The "fantasy" element that occurs to me is the Wolfe favorite of
reincarnation--Suzanne's daughter looks exactly like Suzanne did at
that age.  This isn't fantasy in the hands of most authors, or in
our everyday minds when we use such analogies, yet Apu Punchau =
funeral bronze = ("second") Severian . . .

Which does tie in nicely with the Peter Pan/communist, identity
hijacker/history erasures complex of "The Changeling."  Which, in its
own turn, links to "A Cabin on the Coast" with fairy deals . . .