From: m.driussi@genie.com
Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v002.n0
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 97 21:20:00 GMT

Reply:  Item #0907478 from URTH@LISTS.BEST.COM@INTERNET#

Geoff,

IMHO it isn't a stupid question, but yeah, it is hard not to feel
stupid in asking almost any question.

Wolfe's answer =suggests= (to me at the moment, at least) that there
is no single murderer; that it is either a case of a few unrelated
murders or a more elaborate daisy-chain of murders.  I've seen a few
people put a lot of work into this, but sadly I don't think it was ever
published.  People usually start with a suspicion about Bobby Black
and the guy in the warehouse; these two are upgraded to "certain
homocide" as other suspicions arise about the missing father, Miss
Gold, the librarian, etc.  Then we note that,
metaphorically/economically speaking, the ersatz juice factory destroys
the town by turning it into a monoculture of the potato . . .

But hey, speaking of that People Online Chat interview, long overdue
kudos go out to our own Patrick O'Leary for getting the Big Recommended
Reading Citation from Gene Wolfe.  Huzzah!  Huzzah!  Huzzah!

(Don't get writer's block now, Pat-o, just because =Gene's= watching
you! <g>)