From: m.driussi@genie.com
Subject: Re: (urth) Translator/Author
Date: Thu,  8 May 97 16:04:00 GMT

Reply:  Item #0985746 from URTH@LISTS.BEST.COM@INTERNET#

(Whoops.  I said "TO LOVE FOREVER" was listed in front of PLANET OF
ADVENTURE; I was mistaken--it is listed in Vance's most recent NIGHT
LAMP.  Or so I believe.)

Nutria is right.  NEW COLUMBIA ENCYCLOPEDIA: "FitzGerald, Edward . . .
His masterpiece, a translation of THE RUBAIYAT OF OMAR KHAYYAM, appeared
anonymously in 1859 . . . has long been one of the most popular English
poems.  Although actually a paraphrase rather than a translation of a
poem by the 11th-century Persian poet Omar Khayyam, it retains the spirit
of the original in its poignant expression of a philosophy counseling
man to live life to the fullest while he can."

Note spelling: FitzGerald.  Copy editor must die! <g>