From: William Ansley <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: (whorl) Blue beasts from the stars?
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 23:05:00

Although the "spider hypothesis" is tempting as a reason for the
octopedalian nature of Bluvian life, here is another possible source.
The passage below is from a book that Gene Wolfe may well have read
as a youth or young man. It is by one of the "big three*" of fifties
SF. I am sure some of you will recognize it or at least will realize
you have read it before when you see the title of the book below. It
is presented in the text as a quotation from a journal, hence the
quotes within the block quote:

"This planet is a fair imitation of good old Terra, which is a relief
after the last three, since we can hit dirt without suiting up. But
evolution must have been playing double-or-nothing here, instead of
the four-limbed arrangement considered stylish at home practically
everything here has at least eight legs . . . 'mice' that look like
centipedes, rabbitlike creatures with six short legs and one pair of
tremendous jumping legs, all sorts up to things as big as giraffes.
..."

There is a race of intelligent beings on the planet referred to above
with a highly advanced technology, more than two eyes and limited
shapeshifting ability.

The book is _The Star Beast_ by Robert A. Heinlein, copyright 1954.
Unfortunately, the eight-legged intelligent race in this book (the
Hroshii) are about as large as a rhinoceros and look like a cross
between a rhino and a triceratops. They also have two arms, in
addition to the eight legs, although they don't grow their arms until
relatively late in life, so they are not really a good fit for the
Neighbors at all.

But, I still have to wonder if the eight-legged fauna on Blue isn't
at least in very small part a nod to this book, which I am not
ashamed to admit I remember very fondly from my youth. I suppose this
really is just another of my attempts to guess what Gene Wolfe read
in his formative years, aside from the Oz books.

William Ansley

*For those who wish to know, the "big three" of 1950s SF that I am
thinking of are Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke.